There is nothing more exciting to me than finding a new author to join the agency. Please use the form below to send me your submission.
I represent both adult and children’s fiction (as well as a small amount of non-fiction) and, more than anything, I want to be entertained by a great story while caring deeply about your characters.
In general, I love bold, distinctive voices, intriguing stories with a strong hook and flawed characters with something to learn. I want characters who are truly diverse – let’s be inclusive, body positive and joyful in our representation. I also like big, mind-bending ideas and combinations of genres that feel fresh and create something new…
And more specifically (although this list is not exhaustive, if you think your work might be a good fit, please send it even if it’s not listed here), I’m on the lookout for:
Children’s Fiction Wishlist
- An author/illustrator working in graphic novels or highly integrated illustrated middle grade or YA fiction
- Funny fiction with a unique hook (ideally not school based, but still real world)
- A romance with a gorgeous meet-cute
- Stunning magical middle grade where the world building is as rich and unique as the adventure
- A heart-string pulling animal/child friendship
Children’s and YA books I have loved recently: When Women were Dragons by Kelly Barnhill, No Big Deal by Bethany Rutter, Unraveller by Frances Hardinge, Twin Crowns by Catherine Doyle and Katherine Webber
Adult Fiction Wishlist
- High concept, pacy, twisty, hooky thrillers
- Epic love stories with a speculative twist
- A crime thriller that focuses on cold cases – I love the psychology of the criminal who has lived for years thinking they’ve got away with something only for it to be exposed and the police are slowly circling in…I’m fascinated by the grey areas where bad things happen but the reasons are completely understandable
- Big family/friendship group stories that will make me cry
- A book with a big, possibly speculative, idea at its heart
Adult fiction I have loved recently: The Cartographers by Peng Shepherd, Babel by R. F. Kuang, Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus, A Lady’s Guide to Fortune-Hunting by Sophie Irwin, Rock Paper Scissors by Alice Feeney, The Unsinkable Greta James by Jennifer E. Smith
I only represent a small amount of non-fiction but where I do it tends to be narrative non-fiction or books that align with my feminism, seek to make the world a better place, and will ultimately help us take down the white, capitalist patriarchy.
Non-fiction I have loved recently: Untamed by Glennon Doyle, Why We Swim by Bonnie Tsui, Period Power by Maisie Hill, Disfigured: On Fairy Tales, Disability and Making Space by Amanda Leduc, Heal Your Way Forward: The Co-Conspirator’s Guide to an Antiracist future by Myisha T Hill
I will update these lists on a regular basis – please do check back and follow me on Twitter/Instagram for more information about my reading/MSWL too.
HS-LA Author Extras
When you join my client list you get access to our HS-LA author group on Discord where you’ll find advice about what to expect as you move towards publishing your novel and beyond, moral support, a fantastic community of authors to help you find your feet and a forum to ask anything you’re not sure about. I will make myself available in the forum regularly.
"*" indicates required fields